Thursday, March 5, 2009

Get this blog a medic, stat!

No, the blog's not dead, far from it. I've probably got 15 just started/partially finished posts on my account right now. Which is fancy and great, but not doing any of you any good because y'all can't see them yet, because in my opinion, they're not yet fit for human consumption. Given that they're fermenting on the blogger system right now, they're obviously more on the "think-piece" end of things, and will probably be produced slowly over the course of, well, decades.

So what about our daily work on learning to adapt? Um.... yes, about that. Probably the reason I've not been posting much about that is that we haven't been doing much about that. You see, the kids got sick, then my husband got sick, then the kids got sick again, and then there were midterms, and then the dog at my computer mouse, and the moon left the third house of Capricorn, and... and...

Oh wait, I don't have a dog. Hm.

But seriously, I've not been making major changes to blog on yet, although I will hopefully soon post pictures of my gorgeous baby broccoli, cabbage, kale, and (whenever it germinates) celery. My husband and I have also been in discussions about things like wood-burning stoves, bug-out buckets, and job prospects. So there are some posts which will be forthcoming.

But in the biggest news, I am now taking Sharon Astyk & Aaron Newton's "Adapting In Place" online course! I am definitely looking forward to what I will learn from this course, and I am sure that much of my material (which I produce) for the class will end up here on my blog. Hey, it's ready-made blog material, what can I say?

So stick around, if'n ya want to. =]

7 comments:

  1. I think that the crux of the problem with a bug-out bucket is that you can't carry a bucket for ten miles. Many scenarios in which I would need a bug out bag involve at least some walking with it. Not that I have an ideal solution, mind you.

    ~Brian R.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have bug-out backpacks for each person, and we also have buckets for the car. The buckets have more tools, more food, more blankets. If the specific emergency allows time to grab the buckets, and we are taking the car, they go in. There is also a basic car box that we are working on, to always keep in the back. The most common emergencies - house fire, co2 or gas leak, etc - we each just grab our bag on the way out. They make good emergency hospital bags, too.

    Robyn, I really enjoyed the Adapting in Place course when I took it last year. It changed my perspective on some things that have proved to be important. I involved my family in the discussions as I worked on the assignments, and it helped get everyone on board with the planning. I did a lot of writing. Have a great time with it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad your back!

    Just wondering what's a bug bucket?

    The link to GrowVeg.com is ace! I have my little packets of seeds ready to go but it is taking some organising.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm... methinks from the comments that a post on bug-out buckets/backpacks/bags might be in order. Useful for me, too, since I'm trying to get my brain wrapped around the project and what would be best to do. Yes yes. Stay tuned!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahavah--isn't GrowVeg the best? I feel like such a geek sometimes for using it, but I love it so! And seriously, I suck at paperwork and keeping track of all that and writing it all down in the first place, so the GrowVeg is wildly useful to me. I actually input info, and it keeps it for me! I am going to suggest, though, that they figure out a way of integrating some kind of note-system, maybe even one keyed to the specific plants that one puts in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ah yes would definately welcome 'bug out bucket' enlightenment...

    and yes, GrowVeg is brilliant... I have never been so organised.... :0D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, according to me problem with a bucket of bugs out is that you can not carry a bucket of ten miles. Many scenarios that would need a bag error involve at least some walking with him. Not that have an ideal solution, of course.

    ReplyDelete